Are you the type of person who regularly does workouts? Surely, you want to achieve your ideal weight and body figure as soon as possible. But focusing on a post-workout routine is just as important as the actual workout if you want to achieve your health and fitness goals.
Below are some helpful tips on getting the most out of your post-workout routine.
Always Cool Down and Stretch
An intense workout produces by-products, which can be harmful to your body. That’s why before you leave the gym, you have to cool down and stretch so lactic acid and other metabolic wastes will be flushed out before you rest.
Here are some tips to cool down and recover after a workout:
- Keep moving and stretching at a gentle pace towards the end of your workout. This process will bring your heart rate back to its resting level.
- Gradually cool down, so your heart rate won’t slow down abruptly. Taking your time to slow down will help you avoid pooling blood in your lower extremities, which can cause dizziness or fainting.
- After a workout, stretch immediately so your muscles become pliable and warm. Stretching will improve your flexibility levels, as well as muscle growth and development.
- Mobilize your ankle joints and hips after a workout.
Consume Quality Protein
Protein supplements are popular products consumed by athletes and fitness enthusiasts. Supplements are used to build healthy muscles, lose weight, and improve overall health and wellness.
Here are useful facts about protein supplementation for post-workouts:
- Fitness enthusiasts usually recommend having protein supplements 15 to 60 minutes after exercise. This period is known as the “anabolic window,” which is considered the perfect time to get the most out of protein supplements and other nutrients.
- The consumption of protein supplements any time up to two hours after a workout is ideal for building muscle mass.
- Aside from high-protein food like dairy products and meat, you’ll find a quality protein alternative like protein powders that may also come in different flavors and can be mixed in food and beverages.
Take Advantage of Health and Fitness Apps
With the advancement of modern technology, people can now take advantage of health and fitness apps to make the most out of their post-workout routines. This technology can complement your daily workout routine and schedule. Many of these apps promise improvement in your physical, psychological, and general well-being because of the convenience and flexibility they offer.
Here are some health and fitness apps you can check out:
- Beachbody On Demand: It provides streaming access to Beachbody workouts, like the 21 Day Fix and 80 Day Obsession. The app also offers tools to help you attain your fitness goals.
- MyFitnessPal: This app is easy to use. You can use it to calculate your calories, regular food consumption, and ideal weight goal.
- MoveGB: It’s a great gym membership alternative so you can search and narrow down activities on your page to make you more active and healthier.
Avoid Exceeding Your Lactate Threshold
A lactate threshold refers to the exercise intensity when lactic acid starts to rapidly increase in your body. Lactic acid buildup causes fatigue and muscle soreness. Determining your lactate threshold depends on a lot of factors. One way to know your lactate threshold is to monitor your heart rate using a heart rate monitor.
Or simply do longer speed exercises to determine the intensity and pace you can sustain. Keep a log or track your fitness when you decide to choose this route. After a workout, make sure to cool down and stretch to avoid lactic acid buildup.
Overtraining won’t do any good. It can cause metabolic imbalances, decreased performance, and chronic injuries. Also, overtraining could cause insomnia, fatigue, moodiness, and agitation. That’s why you need to get enough calories based on the level of workout you’re planning to perform.
Before a competition, you need to decrease your workout to prepare for the event. Experts also recommend getting at least eight hours of sleep every night. Also, avoid exercising in extreme heat or cold.
You can get the most out of your post-workout routine by cooling down and stretching to avoid the accumulation of metabolic waste in your body. Also, taking a protein supplement proves to be effective in building muscle mass and attaining weight loss goals. It’s also important to avoid overtraining and determining your lactate threshold to ensure a smoother transition from intense training towards the recovery phase.