With the worldwide outbreak of COVID-19, all are talking about protective masks to fight the deadly virus and control its spread from one person to the other. With the Coronavirus taking a toll on human health and life, people have started using masks, some even surgical ones used by medical professionals.
According to an article published on https://edition.cnn.com, WHO has mentioned that you can wear a mask only if you are ill or taking care of a patient, who is sick. Then, people are using it to prevent the spread of the pandemic. Read on to learn more about some of the essential aspects of face masks amid the corona outbreak.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the use of masks or cloth coverings will help to stop the spread of the lethal virus. The CDC cites that people should use a cloth to cover their mouth and nose to contain the spread of Coronavirus besides cleaning their hands with soap and water or the use of hand sanitizers frequently.
The CDC also recommended that doctors and nurses taking care of COVID-19 patients should always use disposable masks to stop the spreading of infection. It will not only protect you but also others living in a community setting.
Masks help in specific cases
Based on a 2013 study, it was found that face mask and face protection products help patients plagued with seasonal cold and flu to prevent the spread of the virus contained in the several droplets released into the air. Scientists and medical researchers discovered that these cloth coverings resulted in a threefold diminution when it comes to the spread of virus exhaled in the air.
Researchers also discovered that the rate of flu was trimmed down when people wore masks followed by proper handwashing and hygiene. Amid the corona pandemic now, it is, therefore, recommended that all of us wear proper masks and follow hand hygiene to stay safe and healthy.
Tips for wearing masks
The wearing of masks will prevent the spread of corona provided one wears these the right way. Here is how:
- Wear the cloth mask when you come within six feet of a sick or infected person.
- Place the strings to ensure that the mask covers your mouth, nose, and chin firmly. Avoid touching the mask until you remove the same.
- Wear the protective mask when you go out for something essential or when in contact with an ailing patient.
- If you have flu or any symptoms related to COVID-19, visit your doctor and wear the mask to protect other patients too.
- Always wear your mask in a crowded place such as a departmental store while grocery shopping.
- If you have been using a surgical mask, dispose of the same immediately after use and wash or sanitize your hands thoroughly. Never, use it again.
- When it comes to cloth masks, wash it with soap and hot water after every use.
Keep these things in mind amid the corona pandemic to stop the spread of infection. Stay safe and indoors. Always wear a mask if you are ill or in a crowded place.