Metabolism refers to the process by which the body converts fuel from the food that you eat or take in. This is so that the food can be converted to energy. As a next step, this energy can then either be used as fuel for the body immediately or kept in the body. When kept in the liver, this is referred to as glycogen and then known as fats in other parts of the body.
To maintain a healthy life, it’s very important that you’re able to have a good basal metabolic rate (BMR). Otherwise, you may have weight gain, immune dysfunction, and fatigue.
The benefits of having a healthy metabolism are not just seen in how well a person stays energized throughout the day. It also helps with other aspects of being physically fit. This article explores some of the benefits of having a healthy metabolism and what you can do to improve yours.
The Benefits Of A Healthy Metabolism
Having a healthy metabolism carries with it perks that one must not take for granted. In fact, these perks should encourage you, even more, to try your best to have a healthy metabolism. These are:
- It Keeps Your Weight In Check
Having a healthy metabolism will result in very good news—happy news all the time from your weighing scale! When your metabolism works as healthy as it should, then your weight can also stay steady. You won’t have to worry about tipping the scale too much. On the other hand, if your metabolism is poor, this may result in some excess flab around the middle of your body where it can then dangerously affect your organs.
When your metabolism increases, you tend to burn more calories throughout the day and lose weight.
- It Increases Your Energy Levels
When you have a healthy metabolism, your energy level also increases. There won’t be any problem with eating more frequently throughout the day when your energy level is transformed into physical activity. This means you don’t have to worry about increased calorie intake resulting in weight gain as the calories get burned throughout the day.
Because of this increase in energy levels, you can also go about your work more successfully. You don’t feel sluggish through the entire day or unable to do all the tasks that you have to do. When you have a healthy metabolism, you can get the energy needed to do the things you want to do and feel better about your body and life.
For those with sluggish metabolism, you’ll find that it can also slow down your ability to go on an entire day.
- It Clears The Body Of Toxins
A healthy metabolism is needed so that the body can get rid of accumulated toxins. Hence, you get a better ability to cleanse your body. The body gets rid of these wastes and toxins through urination, frequent bowel movements, and perspiration. If your metabolism is unhealthy, even these functions will be significantly affected.
- It Keeps Your Blood Sugar Levels Balanced
When you overeat, your body loses its ability to process all the fat, sugar, and carbs from all the food you take in. In effect, your pancreas will need to double its effort, so it can keep up producing the right amount of insulin. If this carries on and on, your body starts to become insulin-resistant. If not resolved, Type 2 Diabetes can develop.
When your metabolism is working properly, you can burn more fat. You’ll also be able to regulate your blood sugar levels, which helps keep your blood pressure down.
- It Enables You To Sleep Better
Another benefit of having a healthy metabolism is that it can help you have a healthier and more restful sleep, as well as aid with issues like smoking. With a healthy metabolism, you also tend to feel better during the day and have more energy to do the things you want to do.
Therefore, if you want to continually get a good night’s sleep to ensure a healthy metabolism, then, you can use technology advancements like smartwatches and other related devices to keep track of your sleeping hours and patterns. This can be a great way to make sure you get the sleep that you need for a healthier metabolism.
- It Improves Your Heart Health
Having a healthy metabolism helps you maintain good heart health. People who have a high metabolism tend to have less risk for heart disease and stroke. They also tend to have fewer high cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Having a good metabolism also helps increase the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) and the quantity of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) in your bloodstream. This helps decrease the chances of high cholesterol and triglycerides in your bloodstream. If you have a high percentage of HDL in your blood, you are less likely to develop high blood pressure. In effect, you can expect to have better heart health.
The Factors That Affect A Healthy Metabolism
There are many factors that can possibly affect what would’ve otherwise been a healthy metabolism of an individual. If you wish to boost your own metabolism, it’s also necessary that you’re aware of all these factors. Some of these are:
- Nutrition. The natural levels of hormones in your body are largely determined by the food you eat.
- Lack of sleep. This is one of the factors that significantly enables the body to burn fat and reduce inflammation. Sleep is also a key player in moderating leptin, the chemical that signals the body that it feels full.
- Toxins. These are not welcome in the body. When the body has more toxins, it results in inflammation. In turn, it hampers the body’s ability to remove unwanted chemicals.
How To Improve Your Metabolism
Now that you’re aware of all the benefits a fast metabolism can give you, it pays to know some of the best tips you can apply to improve your metabolism. These are:
- Eat enough. You have to create that delicate balance between eating too much and eating too little. While you may want to control your daily intake of food, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you’d starve yourself. Eating too little can actually cause your metabolism also to slow down. The goal is for you to not go any lower than 1,200 calories each day.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. If it’s long been your habit to skip breakfast, now’s the time for you to stop this. Breakfast is the best time for you to give yourself a full meal as you can burn this on later on anyway.
- Eat regularly. It’s also recommended to break up your meals into many, small portions throughout the day. Space your meals at least every three to four hours.
- Make use of technological advancements. With the advent of modern innovations, you can easily and quickly boost your metabolism. For example, there are mobile applications that provide you with the perfect high-intensity workouts that can help increase your metabolic rate and how to do them. Just download the applications, perform the workouts, and start burning fat for a healthier metabolism. Moreover, you can also make use of the Internet and other digital platforms to collect more information that can help improve your metabolism. For instance, you can browse through the web for healthy food choices which are necessary for having a healthy metabolic rate inside your body.
Generally, age and a person’s genetic makeup are more likely to blame for the kind of metabolism you will have. But it’s not always that way. There are things you must also do about your lifestyle for your metabolism to stay in good shape. The advantages you can gain from going through this effort, as enumerated above, should be more than enough to convince you that making that change to a healthier lifestyle is, in fact, the best decision you can make for your life.