Medical science students are supposed to think like a scientist. A scientist develops a hypothesis, formulates a conclusion based on testing the inference, and evidence. Similarly, researchers make use of information provided by the patients. It is through the interview, laboratory tests and physical exam. You may use the information for formulating a diagnosis and devising a treatment plan. Critical evaluation of the data is essential in case of the wellbeing of the patient.
The implication of research for students
For the development of scientific temper, conducting research is essential. Research is a way of adding to the body of knowledge which propels any speciality forward. Moreover, the process also furnishes the researchers with a better understanding of nuances. By publishing research articles, they discern information regarding various new social and economic concerns.
There are several barriers to conducting research, which the researcher faces during the process. The lack of knowledge regarding how to start the exploration is one of these obstacles. Hence, several blueprints are implied, by experts, which are as follows:
- The first step in the research is the development of a research question. It may be a simple question or a complex one, depending upon the encounters of the patient. A research question is a concern which hovers the mind of the researcher. For this, they have to review published articles on the broader area. It will help them to look into loopholes left by researchers. After finding these loopholes, they may formulate a research question for answering unattended questions.
- A thorough literature review is vital for searching published information. Moreover, the researcher may use search engines for key terms, which get divulged in medical studies. In case there are ready research articles on the topic, there is still significance of conducting additional research program. While reviewing the literature, they must make use of international journals related to the research area. It will help in developing a background on the theme. According to sr&ed credits in Canada, when the researcher clearly understands the topic, they may formulate a hypothesis. The hypothesis is an assumption which is derived, after a thorough understanding of the predicament. The entire research cycle revolves around this hypothesis, and the data collected either supports or negates the inference.
- Careful planning of methodology for testing research questions is the next step which follows. It is the most significant component of research. In case there is a lack of proper procedure, there may be inaccurate results following. Moreover, the conclusions may be unfounded.
- After the collection of data, the input needs statistical verification. In this regard, you may seek the help of biostatisticians.
- After the careful evaluation of every component of research, you may conclude on the outcome accordingly. The dissemination of information collected from the research findings provides a review of the literature that is highly critical. The results influence the way the researcher approaches the situation.
For practitioners of non-academic background, they may face substantial obstacles for conducting research. It includes money, time and personal factors. However, you may overcome the barriers, with the fundamental understanding and enthusiasm of the researcher.