When you experience hearing loss, the prospects that lie in front of you can be confusing and overwhelming. When you speak with your audiologist for the first time, they will examine your inner ears, and present you with a prognosis as to what type of treatment is best for you.
If you are wondering how hearing aid tech has developed over the last few years, you are in the right place. Gone are the days of super limited hearing technology – there are now many options to choose from, giving you the best chance of having a great prognosis for your future hearing treatment.
Let’s get started: are you ready to find the right new hearing aids for you?
BTE (Behind The Ear) Hearing Aids
Behind the ear hearing aids are the most traditional type of hearing aids you can find. These hook behind your ear with a tube that reaches into your ear canal. The outer part of the hearing aid picks up the sound that is happening around you, amplifying it into your ear canal.
Who are BTE hearing aids for? Let’s take a look at who should wear this traditional model of hearing aid.
- People with severe hearing loss. Due to the larger size of these BTE hearing aids, they are ideal for people who have experienced severe or total hearing loss. They are able to more powerfully amplify sounds, giving you a better chance of hearing some sound while wearing them.
- People who prefer the larger component. Most people prefer a more subtle hearing aid nowadays, but some people prefer the larger, less fiddly component.
ITE (In The Ear) Hearing Aids
In the ear hearing aids sit in the outer ear, rather than hooking behind the ear like a BTE hearing aid. These can be designed in subtle flesh colors or clear plastic, to make them the least noticeable as they can be.
Would you be offered an ITE hearing aid? Let’s take a look…
- ITE hearing aids are suitable for severe or moderate hearing loss. These hearing aids are still powerful, as they still sit outside the ear canal itself, allowing them to pick up on most sounds that are occurring around you.
- ITE hearing aids can be slightly more difficult to use. Due to the tiny nature of these hearing aids, they can be fiddly and a little frustrating for some people.
ITC (In The Canal) Hearing Aids
ITC hearing aids are the latest in hearing aid technology. They are minute in size and sit right inside your ear canal, making them almost invisible to anyone you meet. If you are self-conscious about your hearing aids, this is definitely the choice for you.
However, ITC hearing aids aren’t suitable for everyone. They can be used by:
- People with moderate or mild hearing loss. These hearing aids sit inside your ear canal, meaning they are best for people with moderate or mild hearing loss.
- People who aren’t bothered by how tiny they are! These hearing aids are easily lost or misplaced because of how small they are.
Overall, you will be amazed at the technological capabilities of hearing aids in this day and age! Speak with your audiologist about which hearing aids would be best for your type of hearing loss.