Being productive throughout the day gives you a sense of accomplishment which drives you to achieve more. However, you may not experience this when living with Mason joint pain. The intensity of the pain may vary from mild to severe, depending on the root cause of your condition. Most people with joint pain experience stiffness during the morning hours, which improves as the day progresses. Engaging in light activity may help reduce the intensity of your pain, while too much of the same can result in severe pain. Below are some of the reasons why you have pain in your joints.
Causes of joint pain
The causes of joint pain vary from factors such as old age to underlying medical conditions. Below are some health problems that can cause pain in your joints.
This is an age-related health problem that causes stiffness and inflammation in different joints all over your body. Arthritis can occur in over a hundred forms, with the most common ones being osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis develops when the articular cartilage covering bones wear and tear due to different reasons such as old age, obesity, and repetitive movements in specific body areas, including knees and arms.
- Rheumatoid arthritis occurs due to abnormalities in your body which causes your immune system to attack the synovial membrane, resulting in swelling and inflammation.
Bursitis or bursa inflammation can develop due to repetitive motions such as extensive kneeling when layering carpets. Occupations and hobbies such as baseball put you at risk for this condition. If you have bursitis, the affected joint may be stiff, painful upon motion, and appear swollen and red. The commonly affected areas include the knee, shoulder, and elbow. Motion restriction of the affected joint may help improve your symptoms. Applying cold compressions may also help alleviate the pain of bursitis.
Gout is a form of arthritis that often develops in the big toe causing pain, swelling, redness, and tenderness. This type of arthritis develops when urate crystals develop in your joints due to high uric acid levels in the blood. Although anyone can develop gout, certain factors may increase your chances for this condition, including:
- Diet. Consuming plenty of sweetened beverages and red meat can increases uric acid levels in your body. People who drink a lot of beer also have higher chances of developing gout.
- Medications. Anti-rejection drugs used for patients after a kidney transplant may increase one’s chances of gout. Other medications, such as thiazide diuretics that help control blood pressure, put you at risk for this form of arthritis.
- Obesity. If you are overweight, your body produces plenty of uric acid compared to people with a healthy body mass index. The kidneys can also strain, eliminating the uric acid from your body.
What is the treatment for joint pain?
Treatment for joint pain is designed to improve function and reduce symptoms, including pain. The various treatment methods include home remedies – hot and cold compresses, exercises, dietary supplements, and physical therapy. In rare cases, surgery may be the best option for patients with severe joint pain that completely inhibits movement.
Living with joint pain without the needed care can be stressful. If you have joint pain, schedule an appointment with your specialist at Elite Physical Medicine for treatment to improve your quality of life.