Chiropractors are specialists who can effectively treat a wide range of injuries and ailments. Regular chiropractic care can also help you avoid future injuries and boost your overall health. As such a unique type of treatment, there are many fun and interesting chiropractor facts available to help you learn more about the history of this form of treatment and how it could even help you.
Here, we’re taking a closer look at the world of chiropractic care and exploring some of the most interesting chiropractic facts. Some of these facts are sure to surprise you and provide more insight into this effective type of care.
What is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is an effective form of treatment for many different injuries, diseases, and ailments. Chiropractors are licensed medical professionals with expertise in relieving pain and treating a range of different health issues. Chiropractic care, at its core, consists of a series of spinal manipulations that realigns the spine to its proper musculoskeletal positioning. As a result, these adjustments can work to relieve back pain, joint stiffness, and pain, restore mobility, and even improve the functioning of your nervous system.
Who Could Benefit From Visiting a Chiropractor?
Chiropractic care is much more than cracking your back and realigning your spine. Of course, spinal adjustments are a critical component of chiropractic care. But many people may not realize that chiropractors can do so much more.
If you’re experiencing any of the following health issues or conditions, you could benefit from reaching out to a chiropractor:
- Chronic back pain.
- Joint pain or stiffness.
- Headaches or migraines.
- Sciatica pain.
- Muscle pain and soreness.
- Inflammatory arthritis.
- Car accident injuries.
- Sports-related injuries.
- Workers who sit for long period of time.
Even if you aren’t currently experiencing one of these health problems, regular chiropractic care can still help you stay healthy, active, and avoid future injuries. Chiropractic care is ideal if you’re an active person who wants to maintain an active lifestyle.
Interesting Chiropractic Facts
Since the 1890s, chiropractic care has advanced, developed, and become a part of mainstream healthcare in the United States and across the world. Millions of individuals visit a chiropractor to find relief from chronic pain and help them recover faster (and more effectively) from injuries or accidents. As such a common and effective form of treatment, there are a lot of interesting facts about the world of chiropractic care.
Here are just a few interesting chiropractic facts:
- Where does the word “chiropractic” even come from? Chiropractic is a combination of two Greek words: “cheir,” which means hand, and “praktos” meaning done. So, essentially, chiropractic means “done by hand.” Makes sense, right?
- Roughly 50 million Americans visit a chiropractor’s office every year.
- When did it all begin? The first chiropractic adjustment occurred in 1895 when Daniel David Palmer helped a janitor who experienced a back injury. One of the top chiropractic schools, Palmer College of Chiropractic, is named in his honor.
- To become a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), you must attend a 4-year doctoral program that includes 4,200 hours of classroom, lab, and clinical internships.
- There are over 100,000 practicing chiropractors all around the world. If you need chiropractic care, chances are there’s a licensed chiropractor near you.
- Every single day, millions of chiropractic adjustments take place.
- Chiropractic care is for everyone. Even infants and small children can benefit from chiropractic care.
- During a chiropractic adjustment, your back may make a popping sound. This isn’t the bones themselves, but rather, air escaping from your joints. This sound is similar to when you might crack your knuckles.
- Chiropractic care is a pain-free process. Almost every chiropractic adjustment is painless because the force applied to your bones and joints is controlled, gentle, and conducted by an experienced professional. If you’re worried about chiropractic care hurting, this should not be a concern.
- Your brain and spinal cord form your central nervous system (CNS). When your spine is properly aligned, your entire nervous system, which controls and regulates almost all your body’s functions, benefits. The nervous system impacts your movement, digestion, breathing, heart rate, thinking, and sensory perceptions, such as touch and sight. This is why chiropractic care is seen as holistic treatment—it truly benefits your entire body and mind.
- Every team in the NFL employs a team chiropractor to treat their players and ensure they’re at optimal wellness.
- Visiting a chiropractor isn’t just for recovering from an injury. Regular chiropractic care can improve your muscles and joints and help you to prevent future injuries.
- Chiropractic care can help patients avoid medication and even surgery.
- Treatment for lower back pain is significantly less expensive when begun by a chiropractor, instead of a medical doctor.
- While spinal manipulation is one of the most common types of chiropractic adjustments, there are many specialized techniques utilized by chiropractors to treat specific injuries and ailments.
Conclusion – Interesting Chiropractic Facts
Chiropractic care has surged in popularity in recent years. More and more patients are looking into visiting a chiropractor as an effective, holistic, and safe way to treat a variety of injuries and ailments. In fact, millions of people all over the world benefit from regular visits to a licensed chiropractor. Chiropractic care is designed to relieve pain, restore mobility, improve circulation, and it can even benefit your nervous system.
Hopefully, these interesting chiropractic facts provided some insight into the world of chiropractic care. If you’ve never visited a chiropractor before, you should certainly consider this type of care. Not only does it help you to avoid medication and the potential of surgery, but chiropractic care is a holistic and non-invasive approach to care. And on top of all that—it works. With millions of adjustments performed every day, could so many people be wrong?