We strongly believe that only digital health can bring healthcare into the 21st century and make patients the point-of-care. Individuals share about 99.97 percent of their DNA and only the remaining 0.03 percent is responsible for the differences in skin, hair or eye color, height, shoe size or sunspots. Scientists discovered somewhat recently that our bodies also metabolize drugs differently so it would make sense to prescribe medications based on the knowledge hidden in our DNA. In some cases, physicians already do that. Heres what you need to know about pharmacogenomics and the future of prescription drugs.Its all in your genesWhy do some people eat creamy French cakes all the time, only do sports when they have to run after the bus and still remain in shape? How come when others eat some chips, the next day theyll gain two pounds? What exactly is the reason for some people not being able to drink coffee after 6 pm otherwise they will be up all night; and why do others have some double espresso at 11 pm and sleep around midnight as if nothing happened?The response is all in your genes. Well, more precisely how your organisms metabolic processes work, which are determined by the double spiral. Genetics and genomics aim to uncover the most hidden secrets of our bodies, and how the human organism might respond to environmental factors. Two specific strands concentrate on metabolic issues: nutrigenomics and pharmacogenomics. The first one deals with food issues and the latter with the drug response of our bodies due to the genetic code. Generally, it argues that despite general sentiments, medications do not have the same effect on people.

Source: Click here

Facebook Comments